60 Seconds with Gemma Mitchell
What is your role?
I am the HR Manager for NQA working from the Dunstable office. My main job function is to ensure that the managers and employees within the business are equipped with best practice to raise a high-performance culture. Some of my day-today tasks include:
- Managing employee relations, dispute resolutions, disciplinaries, grievances, absences, retirement and redundancy.
- Advise managers on the terms and conditions of employment and knowledge share best practice with them.
- Develop and review our HR policies and procedures to drive performance and wellbeing and implement change
- Advise on current and existing benefits for workers
- Take part in, support and advise on recruitment and selection processes
- Align the company HR strategy and business goals
- Ensure that NQA employees feel that they are being treated fairly, appreciated and values as team members.
Most memorable moment at work?
Having been here for a while now, there are plenty of lovely memories to choose from ranging from team building activities, company conferences to just getting that great hire!
A moment that stands above the rest was attending a recent awards ceremony in Cambridge with some of our veteran recruits to receive the Silver Armed Forces Covenant Employer Recognition Award. It was a really proud moment for me as our team have worked really hard to show our support of the armed forces, so to receive this award was fantastic.
See more about our relationship with them click here.
Favourite things about working for NQA?
NQA is such an amazing place to work and it’s the people that make it that way. We engage, collaborate and work tirelessly to make NQA a success and push the organization forward, all whist having some fun along the way!
Top tip for people looking at certification?
When you have decided that it’s time to start doing your research into certification bodies make sure that you have done your homework on the standard(s). This will make your journey run much more smoothly and more enjoyable in the long run.
NQA can point you in the direction of some knowledgeable consultants who can walk you through the process and we also host a huge amount of resources on our website for you to use and download free of charge including webinars, implementation guides, blogs and gap guides. We also offer a variety of training opportunities suitable for those just starting the certification journey through to those further down the line.
How might you be able to help our readers?
NQA regularly post new job opportunities for talented, enthusiastic individuals. If you feel you have the skills and personality to join NQA, please visit our careers page to see our latest vacancies. I'd be happy to look through your CV and would also be involved in the interview process.