Chemical Industry Standards
The chemical industry is central to the global economy because its raw products create numerous other products. Because the sector is very competitive, chemical companies need to work efficiently while meeting legal and environmental requirements.
ISO certifications for the chemical industry allow these businesses to use best practices to stand out in the field. NQA is a certification body with years of experience working with chemical industry clients. We will conduct audits to grant certifications to your chosen standard, which will improve efficiency, customer satisfaction and profits.
About the Chemical Industry
The chemical industry harvests raw materials, including minerals, natural gas, metals, water, air and oil. Through chemical processes and reactions, the raw materials are then converted into:
- Products such as petrochemicals, polymers, explosives, ceramics, oleochemicals, flavors, rubber, elastomers, fragrances and agrochemicals
- Consumer goods
- Inputs for the agriculture, construction, manufacturing, telecommunication, computing and service industries
As a result, the chemical industry creates many manufactured products and goods across numerous sectors.
Chemical manufacturers and processors are located where the raw materials are. Products such as pharmaceuticals, plastics and fertilizers are manufactured nearly anywhere. Many petroleum and natural gas refineries are wherever reserves can be found, usually on the coast or in the ocean.
The chemical industry influences the globe's overall quality of life by impacting:
- Health care
- Safe water supply
- Computer technology
Challenges the Chemical Industry Faces
Some challenges within the chemical industry are:
- Environmental effects: Natural events in the region where your supplies come from can cause an environmental hazard, damaging the environment and your company's employees and brand. Environmental damage requires remediation for the local area and your company's reputation, as consumers negatively receive these incidents.
- Public health: In addition to the environment, chemical manufacturers are pressured to assess how their products and processes affect public health. Special varieties of chemicals may involve dangerous reagents that must be managed, and production may release high volumes of emissions.
- Geographic location: The location of the product's origin can present financial and logistical challenges to your chemical company. The distance may make transportation complicated and expensive. Geopolitical events may interrupt the region's supply chain, affecting your company's product.
- Supplier visibility: Chemical companies need transparency in their suppliers' business practices. This knowledge ensures the raw products are good quality. Supplier practices also need to meet environmental policies, security requirements and good manufacturing practice (GMP) regulations.
- Trade tensions: Complex and numerous trade agreements can lead to disputes that hurt your chemical company's operations. Some causes of these disputes are supply disruptions due to geopolitical events and the unpredictable nature of foreign exchange.
ISO standards for the chemical industry can independently or cohesively target your supply chain. These regulations will help you identify, assess and mitigate your global supply chain processes and risks.
Chemical Industry Standards Supported by NQA
The chemical industry ISO certifications that NQA supports are:
- ISO 9001: ISO 9001 is the international standard for quality management systems. It outlines a framework and set of principles for organizational management. This sensible approach satisfies customers and stakeholders with effective processes and productive employees, which lead to excellent products and services. Quality controls facilitate successful businesses, so certification to ISO 9001 helps make your chemical company outstanding.
- ISO 13485: ISO 13485 is the leading medical device standard. It uses a quality management system to ensure medical devices meet compliance laws and customer expectations in manufacturing, installing and servicing. This standard's goal is to coordinate the various medical device regulatory requirements in the industry. Chemical companies will be seen as trustworthy and reputable when certified to this standard.
- ISO 50001: ISO 50001 is the standard for energy management systems. It provides a framework companies can use to optimize their energy efficiency. Chemical enterprises certified to this standard demonstrate a commitment to improving their energy management. Energy management results in compliance to regulatory and legislative requirements and a reduced environmental impact. Because ISO 14001 is the basic framework of ISO 50001, achieving this standard first will make certification to ISO 50001 easier to obtain.
- ISO 27001: ISO 27001 is the international standard for information security management systems. It provides a framework that boosts your information's legal compliance, confidentiality, integrity and availability. As a result, sensitive data like employee and client information is protected from cyberattacks, theft, vandalism and fire. ISO 27001 does not cover General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). It is compatible with other management systems standards, such as ISO 9001.
- ISO 45001: ISO 45001 is an international occupational health and safety standard. It protects employees, customers and the general public from injuries, diseases, accidents and other harm from the job site or facility. Certification to this standard helps you identify and mitigate harmful factors, keeping your personnel safe physically and mentally. It is based on the system management approaches of ISO 14001 and ISO 9001 and the health and safety standards of OHSAS 18001.
- ISO 14001: ISO 14001 is the international standard for environmental management systems. It outlines principles that specify how to form and maintain an environmental management system. This regulation controls the environmental aspects of your chemical work to reduce your impact on the Earth's resources and ensure legal compliance. You can use this standard to identify opportunities to become more environmentally friendly.
- PAS 2060: PAS 2060 is the only international standard for carbon neutrality. Many companies strive to become carbon neutral, and certification to PAS 2060 will help your company prove this through measurement, reduction, offsetting and documentation. This standard builds upon the principles of ISO 14001.
- ISO 55001: ISO 55001 is a standard for asset management. Companies with significantly high assets in cost or number will benefit from the management principles outlined in this standard. It provides an asset management system to mitigate risk and record performance to identify growth opportunities.
- ISO 37001: ISO 37001 is the international standard for anti-bribery management systems. Your company can prevent, identify and resolve bribery conducted by and against your company. It builds upon management system standards like ISO 9001 by introducing certain measures.
- ISO 22301: ISO 22301 is the international standard for business continuity management systems. It helps businesses move forward after emergency events. Its framework aids preparation, response and recovery from incidents that disrupt usual business. It also establishes measures to prevent these interruptions.
Benefits of Chemical Industry ISO Certifications
ISO certifications for the chemical industry will help your chemical company overcome common challenges and stand out in a competitive field. These regulations will benefit your chemical company by:
- Reducing operating costs: Running your manufacturing plant efficiently will cost less. You can use these funds to invest in essential areas of your business or future growth opportunities.
- Increasing product quality: A comprehensive management system with several quality checks will produce better end products. Quality also creates consistency from day to day and product to product.
- Improving supplier and customer relationships: High-quality products will encourage your suppliers to work with you and motivate customers to purchase from you. ISO standards are internationally recognized, so certification to your chosen regulation will encourage other companies to do business with you, boosting your enterprise and economies.
- Meeting regulatory requirements: Chemical companies have to demonstrate their compliance to local and federal regulations. ISO standards for the chemical industry will help your business follow these regulations and stand out in the industry as a reputable source.
- Lowering environmental impact: Certification to environmental standards such as ISO 14001 means your company will follow ecological guidelines and manage its environmental aspects. Eco-friendly operations will reduce your waste, make energy consumption efficient and improve your brand image.
- Fostering a safe work environment: Compliance to occupational health and safety standards such as ISO 45001 ensures your conformity to federal laws. It will help you identify and reduce the harmful aspects of your work to keep employees healthy.
Why Work with NQA for Chemical Industry Standards?
NQA is a certification body that conducts tests, inspections and certification audits. We believe our clients deserve top services, so we strive to provide certification services to ensure your compliance to your chosen standard and facilitate business improvements.
We partner with clients from numerous industries, including many from the chemical sector. As the leading independent provider of certification and auditing services, we have issued over 50,000 certificates in 90 countries.
- Comprehensive services: NQA has various certification services available, so you can use your certifications to promote efficiency within your chemical company. These certifications have global coverage for streamlined operations.
- Worldwide expert network: Our team of experts knows the latest technical updates as participants in technical communities and standards-writing committees. We use this knowledge to help you adapt to changes and developments.
- Professional expertise: NQA will explain the technical requirements of your chosen standard and the certification process. We'll help you understand your requirements to become certified.
- Value for the cost: NQA offers premier services and technical support at a competitive rate with no hidden fees. You'll gain certification to chemical industry standards for a great value.
- Improvement opportunities: When we conduct your compliance assessment, we'll identify opportunities for improvement. Your chemical company can use this information to make your processes cost-efficient and streamlined.
- Training options: We know there are many ways to learn new technical skills, so we offer in-house, online and classroom courses to let each client pick the method best for them.
Start on your Chemical Industry ISO Certifications Today
ISO standards for the chemical industry are essential for any chemical businesses that want efficient, safe and ecological processes and results. NQA provides certification audits for product, process and personnel improvements. Our approach is supportive to meet the technical requirements of certification, reduce costs, improve customer satisfaction, win more partnerships, achieve legal compliance, enhance risk management skills and more.
Get a quote for your chemical industry ISO certifications today and choose the package that works best for you. Contact us online with any questions you have about the process.