Directive (EU) 2018/851 amending Directive 2008/98/EC on waste
Comes into force: 4th July 2018
This Directive makes amendments to Directive 2008/98/EC on waste – The Waste Framework Directive which provides the legislative framework for the collection, transport, recovery and disposal of waste.
This Directive makes amendments in order to, amongst other things:
• Increase targets for preparing for re-use and recycling of waste.
• Remove substances intended for animal feed from the scope of Directive 2008/98/EC.
• Add a number of new definitions.
• Changes some cease to be waste condition and requirements
• Set out exemptions for separation of waste.
• Establish bio-waste separation.
• Establish household hazardous waste collection.
• Update record keeping requirements.
European Directives are not directly enforceable on businesses in the UK. The Directives simply create obligations for member states to implement national legislation. However, they may frequently be of interest because they set the standards which national legislation seeks to implement.
For further information please click here.