Energy Industry Standards
The energy industry is a crucial sector in many modern economies. Growing demand, technological innovations, high competition and effective supply chains will continue shaping the energy sector. Energy companies will need to keep up with these changes to stay ahead.
ISO certifications will help you expertly manage your projects' complex requirements and effectively utilize your assets. NQA is a certification body with years of experience working with clients in the energy industry. We will help you meet the requirements of your chosen energy industry ISO certifications while improving your processes and personnel.
About the Energy Industry
The energy industry produces or supplies energy through exploration, development, marketing, storage, production and refinement. Networks of companies are involved throughout these stages to produce and distribute the power the economy needs. The two main sectors of the energy industry include:
- Nonrenewable: Nuclear power, heating oil, gasoline, petroleum and diesel fuel
- Renewable: Onshore and offshore wind power generation, wave and tidal power generation, solar power generation and ethanol
This energy is transmitted and stored using infrastructure networks like grid technologies.
In the coming decades, global energy consumption is expected to increase due to growing populations, better energy source access and higher living standards. This energy demand will increase electricity demand, especially through natural gas, wind and solar power. Turning to these renewable sources will help reduce carbon dioxide emissions, though energy companies should still prioritize decreasing their environmental impact.
Challenges the Energy Industry Faces
Trends in the energy industry and various external factors contribute to the issues this sector faces. Some challenges in the energy field include:
- Economic activity: The energy industry's ability to earn revenue is tethered to the business cycle. Economic activity significantly impacts energy demand. Factors such as employment, industrial production, housing, disposable income and gross domestic product (GDP) drive the business cycle. During periods of economic expansion, energy production increases, which raises the price of commodities. In recession periods, demand and commodity prices drop. When the price of energy commodities decreases, energy companies earn less profits.
- Cost reductions for renewable energy: The cost of electricity from renewable energy is much cheaper than fossil fuel plants. Since electricity consumption is increasing, renewable energy is the most cost-effective way to meet the high demand. This investment in renewable energy means power companies in the nonrenewable sector will have to face fierce competition in a saturated market.
- Geopolitics: Political events influence the energy industry by making products less available or changing the cost of commodities.
- Asset management: Energy businesses have high capital expenditures since they own large amounts of fixed assets, including processing equipment, land for reserves and facilities and transportation infrastructure.
- Weather conditions: The weather impacts the energy industry through severe conditions and natural disasters. These circumstances can damage the infrastructures that support the sector and disrupt business. Commodity prices also tend to increase in seasons with pleasant conditions.
- Research and development: Many energy companies invest in research and development to update their methods to the most efficient ones. This practice also helps companies, and the energy industry as a whole, adapt to changing environmental policies.
Energy Industry ISO Certifications Supported by NQA
The most common ISO standards for the energy industry include:
- ISO 9001: ISO 9001 is the most-used quality management systems standard in the world. Its framework and set of principles offer a management approach that satisfies customers and stakeholders. As a result, employees work efficiently using practical processes to deliver top-quality products. ISO 9001 is compatible with other management systems, including ISO 14001.
- ISO 14001: ISO 14001 is the environmental management systems standard. It is a principle management system that outlines the requirements for creating and operating an environmental management strategy. This system gives you control over your organization's environmental aspects to reduce impact and ensure legal compliance. It is broad enough that any energy industry sector can use it to implement sustainable practices.
- ISO 50001: ISO 50001 is the international standard for energy management systems. It provides a framework for energy efficiency and optimization. Certification to this standard is a commitment to improving energy management in your facility. If you hold certification to ISO 14001, achieving ISO 50001 will be easier to accomplish since the frameworks are similar.
- ISO 45001: ISO 45001 is the standard for occupational health and safety. It helps companies mitigate the factors that may cause accidents, diseases, injuries or other harm. As a result, employees are more protected at work, and safety incidents are reduced. Companies in any industry can use this framework to create more thorough health and safety standards in their workplaces.
- ISO 27001: ISO 27001 provides the framework for information security management systems. This international standard keeps sensitive data confidential and legally compliant. It is a thorough response to security threats such as fire, vandalism and cyberattacks, so your business can reduce downtime if these events occur. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will not be covered by ISO 27001.
- PAS 2060: PAS 2060 is an internationally recognized standard for carbon neutrality. Verification to this standard helps your company achieve carbon neutrality and prove it through data. PAS 2060 has four stages to achieving carbon neutrality — measuring, reducing, offsetting and documenting / verifying. PAS 2060 demonstrates you've established effective, sustainable practices throughout your organization.
- ISO 37001: ISO 37001 is the standard for anti-bribery management systems. Companies can implement and operate a system that will identify and address bribery by and against the company. It will also work to prevent bribery from occurring. It applies to all industry sectors and companies of any size, and it can be easily integrated into existing management systems like ISO 9001.
Benefits of ISO Certifications for the Energy Industry
Energy industry ISO certifications benefit energy companies in asset management, energy efficiency and quality management. Performing well in these areas will help energy companies succeed in this competitive field. Certification will help your energy company overcome challenges by delivering these benefits:
- Cost savings: ISO standards for the energy industry help companies save money by effectively managing resources. You will have more capital to invest in other areas of your business, such as infrastructure improvements and maintenance.
- Implement sustainable practices: Energy management systems standards like ISO 14001 and ISO 50001 help energy companies manage their environmental factors to reduce carbon emissions. As a result, your practices will be more environmentally friendly.
- Energy-efficient products and processes: Your energy company will gain a competitive advantage through energy-efficient operations that work more productively to produce high-quality products.
- Reduce raw material consumption: Sustainable practices use less raw materials and natural resources, which saves money while reducing environmental impact.
- Continuous improvement: ISO certifications for the energy industry promote continuous improvements in your processes and products. You can review your current energy consumption levels, set achievable targets, measure your progress and start making changes. You can repeat this process to evolve your company's standards to implement new practices and achieve new goals.
Why Work with NQA for Energy Industry Standards?
NQA is a certification body with years of experience working with clients for certification in energy standards, including clients like Digital Realty and Costa. Our goal is to support our clients' efforts to improve their products, processes and personnel to drive high profits and excellent customer satisfaction. Our audits will improve your organization while meeting your selected standard's requirements.
- Comprehensive services: Our certification services cover many common ISO standards that help organizations have greater efficiency, sustainability, safety and more. ISO certifications for the energy industry have global coverage and are recognized everywhere for their excellence.
- Continuous improvement opportunities: As we conduct the certification audit, we will also identify opportunities for your improvement. Your organization can use this information to implement measures to make your processes and systems as effective as possible.
- Worldwide expert network: Our experts are located around the globe and participate in technical committees and standards writing. As a result, NQA will keep you informed on updates and developments with energy industry ISO certifications.
- Multiple training methods: We offer in-house, online and classroom training courses so you can gain new technical skills through your preferred format.
- No hidden fees: Our services are the best available in certification auditing. This level of technical support is available to your energy company for a competitive cost with no hidden charges.
- Professional expertise: We will explain the technical requirements and certification process for your chosen standard to help you understand how everything works.
Get Started Today on your Energy Industry ISO Certifications
ISO standards for the energy industry promote efficiency and safety, which leads to reduced operating costs, improved risk management, enhanced stakeholder relationships and improved legal compliance. NQA offers certification audits that help our clients improve their organizations while meeting the standard requirements. We have issued over 50,000 certificates in over 90 countries.
Request a quote to start the auditing process for ISO standards for the energy industry — pick whichever package that works best for your operations. For more information about energy industry standards, contact NQA online.