Energy from Waste Qualification Change in Northern Ireland
What is the new legislation:
The Waste (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2016
What is the amended legislation: Various
Who does this affect: Northern Ireland
When does this change take place: 15th July 2016
These Regulations amend various regulations relating to waste in order to bring into effect the changes introduced by Commission Directive (EU) 2015/1127 amending Annex II of Directive 2008/98/EC of the European Parliament and the Council on waste.
The amendments are in relation to the energy efficiency formula used to calculate the R1 status threashold which an incinerator needs to meet in order to be formally classed as a waste recovery facility. The Regulations apply a climate correction factor to this R1 formula.
The pieces of legislation which have been amended to facilitate this change are as follows:
- The Waste and Contaminated Land (Northern Ireland) Order 1997;
- The Waste Management Licensing Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2003;
- The Hazardous Waste Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2005;
- The Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2007;
- The Waste Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011; and
- The Pollution, Prevention and Copntrol (Industrial Emissions) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013.
The full text of the Regulations may be found here.