The information technology sector is of vital importance to everything we do today. IT organizations must ensure the efficiency of service delivery and customer satisfaction in order to fend off competition in an ever growing and advancing marketplace. Efficiency isn’t only important at the IT level; it must also permeate every level of the organization, from the CEO all the way down to the custodial staff.
Implementation and registration to international management systems is an excellent way for IT organizations to handle these challenges and to achieve customer satisfaction.
Types of Information Security Management Systems for IT Organizations
IT organizations can benefit from the following ISO information security standards:
- ISO 27001 Information Security Management Systems: ISO 27001 establishes concrete information security standards for use by data centers and other organizations. Most recently updated in 2013, the latest revisions reflect the increased importance of cloud computing and software-as-a-service. One of the key components of ISO 27001 is the established controls and control objectives — an essential part of any risk management plan. These controls include everything from human resources policy to encryption standards. Cumulatively, they reflect a set of best practices for information security management at the organizational level.
- ISO 27701 GDPR Compliance: ISO/IEC 27701:2019 is a data privacy extension to ISO 27001. This newly published information security standard provides guidance for organizations looking to put in place systems to support compliance with GDPR and other data privacy requirements. ISO 27701, also abbreviated as PIMS (Privacy Information Management System) outlines a framework for Personally Identifiable Information (PII) Controllers and PII Processors to manage data privacy.
- ISO IEC 20000-1 Information Technology Service Management: ISO IEC 20000-1 is a set of standards for IT service providers that outlines best practices for maintaining security, delivering consistent service, and adopting new technologies as they become available. The standard sets out system requirements, codes of practice, relationship, resolution and control processes, and more. The most recent revision was published in 2011.
- CMMC (Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification): The Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification is the latest verification method put in place by the Department of Defense. This certification is the Department's first attempt to set clear requirements for contractors when it comes to cybersecurity. The ultimate goal of the CMMC is to implement an appropriate level of cybersecurity across the supply chain of the defense industrial base.
- ISO 27017 Security Controls for Cloud Services: ISO/IEC 27017:2015 is a security control for cloud services and is an extension to ISO/IEC 27001 and ISO/IEC 27002. The standard advises on both the cloud service customers and cloud service providers. ISO 27017 is designed to help you and your organizations when selecting security controls for cloud services when implementing a cloud computing information security management system.
Quality Management is Also Important
In addition to IT management, quality management also plays a key security role. In the highly competitive information security sector, businesses that strive to continually improve their operations gain an important edge over their competitors. By achieving ISO 27001 or ISO IEC 20000-1 certification, you gain a top-down framework for improving your efficiency and bottom line.
Quality management certification involves implementing processes which are proven and measurable — this translates to ongoing cost savings, enhanced customer satisfaction and responsible growth.
Consumers are increasingly becoming aware of these benefits. Many insist on doing business with a supplier that can demonstrate their commitment to quality assurance and uninterrupted service delivery. By becoming certified, IT organizations gain an important selling point that will help them stand out in an already saturated market.
What are the Benefits of ISMS Management in Information Technology?
IT departments in organizations of all types and sizes can benefit from quality assurance in information technology. Key information security management system benefits include:
Meeting compliance requirements. There are now a number of legal, contractual and regulatory compliance requirements pertaining to information security management systems. Becoming an ISO-certified organization is a relatively easy and cost-effective means of achieving and maintaining compliance.
Reducing the likelihood of a costly data breach. The failure to adequately protect your information assets could lead to a data breach, resulting in fines due to non-compliance. The damage to your brand and reputation can also have devastating financial consequences. Implementing these information security standards can reduce the chances of a breach occurring.
Meeting security audit requirements. Companies certified to ISO standards demonstrate adherence to universally accepted quality assurance practices. This often reduces the number of customer and stakeholder requests for security audits, saving time and paperwork.
Expanding your global footprint. These information security standards are universally recognized and implemented by companies all over the world. Adhering to these standards can help you gain new global clients and international business partners.
Building trust with existing customers and stakeholders. Following ISO information security standards helps build trust and establishes credibility with your current business partners. They’ll have the confidence and peace of mind of knowing that you’re making information security management a top priority.
Making smarter, more informed information security management decisions. Effectively managing risk is an essential component of quality management in information technology. Adhering to ISO standards ensures the implementation of reliable technical, administrative and operational controls, making it easier to assess and prioritize the various IT security risks and make more informed decisions.
How NQA can Help With Your Information Technology Management System Needs
For more than two decades, NQA has been a valued partner to IT and information security businesses adopting ISO or other standards. Our team of internationally recognized auditors can assist you at all stages of the certification process, providing a dedicated team associated to your location to simplify matters from start to finish.
Information security management certification is often viewed as a stressful process, but it doesn’t have to be. At NQA, our goal is to help you adopt the system that is best for your business — our approach to certification is results-driven and performance-based rather than bureaucratic. With a global team of auditors, we have a truly international reach. Our affordable rates also mean we are positioned to serve clients of any size.
Download our Risk Assurance brochure to find out more.
To learn more about the certification process and how we can help, contact NQA today.